Boy Scouts of America
Tread Lightly! is proud to partner with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) in order to provide outdoor ethics education through the Outdoor Ethics program. Since the Memorandum of Understanding was signed in 2013, Tread Lightly! and the BSA have worked together to educate Scouts and Adult Volunteers alike on how to Tread Lightly! while enjoying outdoor recreation, specifically in terms of motorized recreation.
Tread Lightly! dedicates two Master Tread Trainer courses per year to the BSA during the National Outdoor Ethics conference. Additional trainings can be arranged by contacting the Tread Trainer program manager.
The Tread Trainer program is intended to support and expand the BSA’s educational efforts while remaining the property of Tread Lightly!. All Tread Trainer courses, activities, etc., regardless of other organizational ties, are part of Tread Lightly!’s programming and the following should be observed:
- You must be 18 years of age to qualify as a Tread Trainer or Master Tread Trainer.
- One must only be trained in the T.R.E.A.D. Principles in order to achieve a First Class Rank. A Tread Trainer qualification is not a requirement for advancement.
- Scouts and Volunteers who receive a Tread Trainer or Master Tread Trainer qualification and perform trainings do so as volunteers of Tread Lightly!.
- Although you may have received your trainer qualification through a course hosted by the BSA, you are welcome and encouraged to provide trainings outside of the BSA as well.
- Only Tread Lightly! staff can determine your status and eligibility to train as a Tread Trainer.
- In order to effectively communicate with Trainers as well as to manage new memberships, Master Tread Trainers should schedule Tread Trainer courses through the Tread Lightly! website. Contact the Tread Trainer program manager.
- Participants of courses who register outside of the Tread Lightly! website will not be considered qualified Tread Trainers until membership fees AND a course roster have been received and are not authorized to hold Tread Lightly! Awareness or Overview courses, represent Tread Lightly! at outreach events or activities, use Tread Trainer materials or entitled to free educational materials or Tread Lightly! member benefits.
- Reports given to BSA personnel are not shared with Tread Lightly!. All Tread Lightly! trainings, promotions, courses and outreach should be reported in a timely manner through the online Tread Trainer Report.
Please remember, regular and timely reporting of trainings, promotions and other activities is vital to the success and continuation of the Tread Trainer program.
Boy Scouts of America, Tread Lightly! and Leave No Trace
The Boy Scouts incorporate both Tread Lightly! and Leave No Trace principles into their Outdoor Ethics program. In order to respect the two programs please remember the following:
- While representing Tread Lightly! your title is “Tread Trainer” or “Master Tread Trainer”.
- Any original material produced by you which incorporates Tread Lightly!’s ethic or educational messages should be approved by the Tread Lightly! Communications Manager.
- If trainings occur where Tread Lightly! and Leave No Trace materials will be used, each organization’s material should be presented in whole, in distinct sections.
If you have any questions please contact the Tread Trainer program manager.